About Fertility Diagnosis
The first step that you and your partner will likely take with your reproductive endocrinologist is that of fertility diagnosis and testing. This can often be a very difficult and confusing stage, so be sure to ask questions that are specific to this process. You might want to ask questions such as:
- What fertility tests will be performed (male infertility tests and female infertility tests)?
- Will I need to undergo a laparoscopy for diagnosis? If so, who will perform the surgery and where will it be done?
- What happens if you can’t find a diagnosis for my fertility problems? What is the next step?
- How much will the diagnostic procedures cost? Are they included in the clinic’s fees?
About Possible Treatments
Fertility treatments and schedules can vary from clinic to clinic, so be sure to ask your reproductive endocrinologist about her basic treatment regimen. You may want to ask the following questions:
- What is usually the first line of fertility treatment?
- How long will you pursue a certain treatment until you decide it’s time to move on?
- Will I need to use fertility drugs, such as Clomid? If so, how much will it cost? Can you offer me a discount on medications?
- Am I a candidate for IUI? Is my partner a candidate for IUI?
- How many IUI cycles do you usually perform?
- Am I a candidate for IVF? Is my partner a candidate for IVF?
- How many embryos do you transfer during each IVF cycle?
- What are your success rates for IUI and IVF?
- Do you offer alternative fertility treatments, like acupuncture or mind-body retreats?
- What are the possible risks of the different fertility treatments?
- Do you offer payment plans to help us with the cost of fertility treatments?