The food groups continued....
3. Milk Products
Milk products are essential to your growing baby’s health. For your diet during pregnancy, you will need to consume more milk products than you used to.
Aim for at least 4 servings, which may include:
- 1 cup of low-fat milk
- 1 ½ ounces of hard cheese
- 1 cup of yogurt
4. Protein Products
Protein is the main force that helps our bodies to build and repair tissues. During pregnancy, try to get at least 2 to 3 servings of protein a day.
This could include:
- 3 ounces of lean red meat, fish, or poultry
- 1 cup of beans
- 1/3 cup of tofu
Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy
While there aren’t many restrictions to your pregnancy diet, there are a few items that you should avoid eating during pregnancy, because they could potentially harm your baby. Eliminate or reduce the amounts of these foods:
- Alcohol and caffeine: alcohol should be eliminated from your diet entirely, to reduce the chance of premature birth and fetal alcohol syndrome. Caffeine products should be reduced dramatically, as they can dehydrate you and deplete the amount of vitamins and nutrients in your body.
- Raw foods such as uncooked or cured meats, sushi, raw shrimp, oysters, and eggs: these can contain bacteria that can make you and your baby very sick.
- Unpasteurized foods such as soft cheeses, certain milks, and ciders: unpasteurized products contain bacteria which can pass on listeria, a serious infection.
- Fish that contain high levels of mercury, including shark, King Mackerel, swordfish, and tilefish: high levels of mercury can cause serious side effects.