What to do now?
3 Replies
Sarah - November 14

Hi Dr. Jacobs,

My 6th IUI has once again failed. They used a combination of Letrozole and Follistim 75ul (5 days). I had a review with my RE in which she stated that the reason I have not become pregnant has a lot to do with luck and a bit of poor egg quality. Because I am 24 and have PCO they believe I should continue to only stimulate two follicles and not go to IVF until I have had at least another 3-4 more IUI's. My question is can you do IVF with someone with minor PCO who is not insulin resistant? and in general would you consider moving on at this time to IVF?

Thanks

Sarah

Barry Jacobs, M> D. - November 14

After 3 to 4 treatment cycles, regardless of protocol, the potential for a pregnancy using that protocol almos disappears. It is time to either move on, or walk away.
Good luck.

Sarah - November 15

Hi Dr. Jacobs,

Why is it that the chances diminish? I have had 4 cycles on letrozole alone, and two cycles on letrozole and folliistim. They keep saying I have textbook cycles but no pregnancy. And by walk away do you mean from the clinic or from having a child? At 24 I don’t see how I can walk away after not trying everything possible, unless of course it is impossible for me to have children, which is not the prognosis.

Thank you

Sarah

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - November 15

If a prptocol is going to provide a pregnancy, there is an overwhelming probability that it will do so in the first 3 to 4 cycles. If it does not not, it was probably the wrong protocol for the problem(s). We do not always know before we try if the protocol, if it will work. Trying another clinic is an option, or another protocol at the same clinic. Some patients decide that progressing to more aggressive therapy is more than thet choose to do, and they discoutinue treatment.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?