What to do next
3 Replies
Asunflower - May 6

We did first IVF in Jan with Antagon protocal (retrieved 19 eggs, 11 fertiilzed) 3 5 cell embryos transfered day 3- BFN. Tried Lupron protocal in April (retrieved 28 eggs 21 fertilized) with 2 blastocyst embryos transfered day 5- BFP. First beta 202, next beta only 248, third beta down to 104. Stopped progesterone and estrace and I am waiting for my period. We are going to try one more fresh IVF cycle. We have not met with out RE yet but I was wondering what you would recommend for our next protocal? We got a BFP but the embryo did not go anywhere. Any thoughts as to what we may want to change? We have unexplained infertility but my husband does have low sperm count. We used ICSI for both cycles.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - May 6

There are a great many variables from one patient to the next. There are also a great many variables from one lab to the next. What I might recommend to a patient in my practice, using our IVF lab, may not be appropriate for you. Personally, I do not use Antagon. We routinely do blastocyst transfers. Although we have excellent pregnancy rates, we are not 100%. No one is. Frequently, it takes more than 1 try.
Good luck.

Asunflower - May 6

So of course you would recommend another Lurpon protocal with blastocyst transfers. May I ask what you give your patients after the transfer to help the embryos implant? I was using progesterone shots and Estrace.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - May 6

It probably makes no difference if you use Estrace, or Estraderm patches. I use the latter. I am a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy. I use progesterne in oil injections, and progesterone vaginal capsules.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?