Ureaplasma
2 Replies
oct01 - January 20

Dr. Jacobs,

I was just informed that I tested positive for ureaplasma. My husband and I will take antibiotics for 10 days to clear it up.

I'm so glad that my new RE did this culture because I've been having urinary problems for a few months and was told by my OB-Gyn and another RE that I was fine (i.e., no UTI).

Does ureaplasma impact fertility? I've found mixed opinions about this online for both male and female factor. What is your opinion?

Also, because I'm having symptoms of ureaplasma (which is typically symptomless), does this suggest that I may have an advanced infection that would warrant further tests or more intense treatment than just 10 days of antibiotics? How confident should I feel about it clearing up with just one round? My RE says that she doesn't do a second culture after treatment.

Thanks for your help

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - January 20

The data about ureaplasma and fertility are inconclusive. Certainly it is commonly present in infertile couples. It is also present in fertilie couples.
Good luck.

ttcb - August 10

Hi,
I was just told I tested positive for ureaplasma as well. My RE wants to retest again after treatment to be certain it's gone.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?