Twin Pregnancy...6 weeks
5 Replies
hopeful DC - December 19

Dear Dr. Barry,

I was given a positive pregnancy test on December 8th. Today I am exactly 6 weeks pregnant. I had my ultrasound today and they saw 2 gestational sacs. One looked very good sized and they heard the heartbeat. The other was very small in size and I am not sure if they heard a heartbeat. I am concerned about the viabililty of the second embryo. I was told that things could change in another week, but the way it looked today was not very promising and that if this was the only embryo that implanted, they would be concerned about whether it would survive. They also mentioned that with twins, one is usually bigger than the other.

Could you please help me to understand what the real chances for this embryo's survival? What can be done to help the survival?

Thanks,

hopeful dc

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - December 19

If you see a fetal pole and heart in 1 gestational sac, but not the other, the odds are poor for the second one. Certainly checking in a week will resolve the issue.
Good luck.

hopeful DC - December 20

So if the other embyro does not survive, what happens to it? Is it just absorbed by the surviving embryo? Can it be hazardous to the other embryo? Is there a real possibility that within a week, the status of the embryo could improve?

Also they told me that the good looking embryo measured to 5 weeks and 4 days. What does this mean if I am 6 weeks according to the date of my retrieval? Does it mean that it took 3 extra days to implant, so techinically it is only 5wks 4dys? If so, is it possible that the other embryo took longer so that is why it does not look as good?

Thanks for the information Dr. Jacobs.

hopeful dc

Barry Jacobs, M.D. - December 20

If one fetus does not survive, it will be absorbsd. Ultrasound measurements of the fetal pole are used to estimate gestational age. All estimates are reported as plus or minus 2 to 3 days, depending on the size of the fetus. Your pregnancy will be from first day of last menses, or 2 weeks prior to egg retrieval.
Good luck.

hopeful DC - December 22

Thanks for the information Dr. Jacobs. So my theory about one embryo taking longer to implant than the other is not accurate and this does not affect the size and growth of the embryo in a multiple pregnancy situation? Is there anything that can be done to help the growth of the other embryo?

Thanks again...

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - December 22

The reason for slow growth is probably a genetic or chromosomal abnormality. There is nothing we can do to change that.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?