timing for starting IUI
3 Replies
fplgiraffe - March 19

I have oligomennorhea and reduced ovarian reserves. I am treatment planned for IUI (with letrazole and injectibles). They want to start treatment on CD3. The problem is I don't get periods--so figuring out where I am in my cycle is not straightforward. I had an endometrial lining measurement on US today at 8 mm. Ovaries apparently did not look "active" (no CL?) on US. My estrogen and progesterone were measured also (don't know the result). The nurse told me my RE is prescribing a 10-day course of Provera to induce a bleed because my lining is too thick to start an IUI cycle. However, I tried a Provera challenge last month and did not bleed afterward. So I am a bit disheartened--looks like I will be in a wait and see mode for 2 1/2 weeks, and I am pretty sure I will not get a period with the Provera. What would you recommend in this situation?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 19

With an adequate endometrium, I expect you will probably have a flow.
Good luck.

fplgiraffe - March 22

I spoke to an endocrinologist in my family who said that with an FSH of 12.8 and low estradiol and progesterone, a thickened endometrial lining would be unlikely. Do you think this picture makes sense? Should I request a repeat ultrasound?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 22

The growth of endometrium is both estrogen dependent and time dependent. It is difficult for me to make a reasonable assessment without seeing the ultrasound pictures. There are certain matterns, as well as thickness to take into consideeration.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?