The best timing of IUI procedure
1 Replies
Hana - March 13

Hello, Dr Jacobs.

My husband and I are going to have our first IUI attempt this week. We are not using any medications this time. I have just started using OPKs this morning.

My doctor told me to use an OPK at 6 in the morning and soon as it comes out positive, come in the office at 8 to collect sperm, and get our IUI done at 10 after washing and processing the sperm.

From my understanding, After an OPK comes out positive, I am supposed to have my ovulation within the next 24 to 36 hours.

So is this timing of IUI effective? I am just worried whether the washed and processed sperm could still stay alive for such a long time.

By the way, My husband has a low sperm count and 50% motility.

Thank you very much.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 13

A positve ovulation predictor kit does not truly predict ovulation. It is a test for the hormone LH, which usually causes the follicle to rupture and release the egg - ovulate. In infertile women, it is not uncommon to go through all the hormonal changes of ovulation without releaseing the egg. There are a number of publications in the literature with data indicating that IUI without stimulating ovaries using an FSH product produces no better pregnancy rates than no treatment, at all.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?