sudden bleeding
3 Replies
Dannye - July 16

I am 6 weeks 5 days pregnant. Everything has been going well (great hcg, progesterone, & estridol numbers). We also saw the heart beat on vaginal ultrasound last week.

Last night, I went to sit on the ground, and just as I did I felt an immediate shot of pain from around my uterus, followed by a little throbbing in/around my vagina as well (for no more than about 10 minutes). Ten minutes later, I went to the bathroom where I noticed blood spots in my underwear, and then some blood leaked out of me into the toilet (I'd say about 2 tablespoons). I couldn't tell if there was anything other than the blood (which was a brighter red). Since then (@24 hrs), I have not had any bleeding, and just have noticed some general aching in my abdomen (which I've been feeling throughout the pregnancy).

At my last ultrasound, the tech said I still had several follicles (I think she said they appeared large). I could actually feel that they were there. After last night's incident, I no longer feel it. Could the bleeding have been a result of the follicles releasing (when I sat down onto the ground)?

I should also note I am on heparin as well as baby aspirin. I called my doctor's office, and they increased my progesterone, and I'm going for an u/s Monday morning to see if anything happened.

Would I have felt more than just 1 "pinch" of pain if I had miscarried? Wouldn't there have been a bit more blood? What else could explain this?

Feeling VERY worried,

Dannye

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 16

There is no way to determine if your pregnancy is in trouble, uless you have lost the fetal heart. As long as you are only spotting, and do not have a flow like a period, you are probably OK. Even if there is a problem, there is nothing we can do. All we can do is wait.
Good luck.

Dannye - July 20

Thanks for your reply. Update for my next question: after my initial post here, Saturday night got very scary. In the middle of the night, I passed a bit more blood, along with a clot about the size of a 50 cent piece. Sunday morning, they discontinued my heparin and increased progesterone. The rest of Sunday, nothing more than a little spotting.

Monday am, had an ultrasound, and all was fine with baby. However, I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hematoma. I was ordered to also stop the baby aspirin. I was also ordered to bedrest.

Since Monday am, I have had very little spotting (maybe just a couple times a day, no more than a drop or two of brownish colored blood). I went back to the doctor's today (Wed), and another ultrasound showed that the bleeding appears to have slowed significantly, but they are concerned about the size of the clot. The good news, they tell me, is that the clot/bleed is located below the baby. I've been told I can be on "modified" bedrest now (I basically have a "deskjob", and am not on my feet much at all), so I'm returning to work Thurs.

It sounds like the staff at my doctor's are saying I'm either going to pass the clot, or my body will reabsorb it over time. Is one way preferred over the other? I know that the clot is below the baby, but I'm still worried that if it let's loose, it could still affect the baby.

Thanks!

Dannye

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 20

The clot is depriving the placenta of some blood flow. I have no way of determining if there is a danger to your pregnancy. The placenta does have excess capacity, and things may be fine. It realy does not matter how the clot is cleared, as long as it does not significantly expand.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?