spotting
3 Replies
shansy - March 13

Hi Dr. Jacobs,

I am awaiting my cycle to begin so that we can start Gonal-F shots with an IUI this month. However, since last Tuesday, I have been lightly spotting (not normal for me). I am not on any medication. The spotting stopped yesterday. It felt like a period though (cramping, bloated, etc.). Today is Cycle Day 36 and I usually go 30-34 days in my cycle. Also, I spotted on Day 19 during this past month and that is something else that has never happened to me.

Is it likely this was my period and I missed Day 3? Or could this be some sort of medical problem?

My RE ordered up a blood pregnancy test which I just had done this evening. I'll find out the results tomorrow.
I'm 29 w/ suspected PCOS.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 14

As someone with polycystic ovaries, you are not ovulating regularly. If you are not ovulating, your periods will be very unpredictable, from the standpoint of interval, duration and volume.
Good luck.

shansy - March 14

Thank you for your response.

My periods have been normal up to this point. Also, the PCOS has not been confirmed- all blood tests have not shown any evidence of PCOS- they just suspect this. That is why I am wondering about this cycle as it is unusual.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 15

Hormone testing to diagnose PCO is not very reliable. There is a characteristic pattern on ultrasound imaging of the ovaries.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?