scsa test
7 Replies
pastdue2 - February 3

In what situations do you recommend the scsa test?

How reliable do you think this test is in determining one's ability to achieve a successful pregnancy?

What is the treatment protocol for this?

Will vitamin supplements like Proxeed or fertility blend help?

Should one simply give up on IVF/ICSI if their dna fragmentation is high?

Why is there so much controversy about this test? It seems some doctors recommend it and others don't?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sincerely,
Heidi

rt - April 14

Dr. Jacobs,

Should one simply give up on IVF/ICSI if their DNA fragmentation is high(around 40%)? (or does it just take longer to get pregnant)

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - April 14

Testing for DNA fragmentation in sperm is a new technology, and we do not have all the aanswers, yet. In selected circumstances, it seems to have some value. There is also, at least 1 report that varicocele repair may improve sperm DNA fragmentation. Proxeedand vitamins do NOT.
Good luck.

rt - April 14

Thanks for your prompt attention.

But my urologist has ruled out any varicocele presence.
To him everything seems alright. do you want me to take second opinion on this? what's your advice? Are high DFI numbers treatable.your expert advice is very much appreciated. I would like to talk to you and don't mind paying for your advice.is that do able?

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - April 14

Please understand 2 things. I have very limited knowledge of andrology. That is why I collaborate with someone who is an expert. Second, no physician can provide meaningful advise to anyone he has not evaluated. I would be happy to work with you and your husband, but would need to see and evaluate you, as a couple.

rt - April 15

We live in NJ.Is phone consultation an option?we have undergone 1 st cycle without success and have all the test results and can fax you all the information. we are planning to go for the second cycle and would like to seek your advice.please let me know.Thanks

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - April 15

Part of the evaluation I would need to do to provide any consultation is a physical exam, in addition to reviewing all of the medical records and X-rays. The Texas State Bosrd of Medical Examiners has already made it clear that practicing medicine over the phone, without having seen the patient is NOT within the scope of appropriate practice. Also, since I would be providing medical care in New Jersey, I would probably run afoul of New Jersey law for practicing without a license in New Jersey.
Good luck.

Thomas37 - April 15

To rt -

In case you are not aware, there is a male infertility message board at www.inciid.org that is moderated by Dr. Evenson, who developed the DNA fragmentation test and runs SCSA Diagnostics, the only lab in the country currently performing this analysis. He has been very helpful in answering my questions.

As Dr. Jacobs stated, it is a relatively new test so there is very limited clinical trial evidence to guide people on what to do once they have their results. However, regarding the earlier questions on the impact of Proxeed and other anti-oxidant therapies, Dr. Evenson recently responded that his clinic has seen patients cut their fragmentation levels in half after taking them. Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?