Robertsonain Translocation
1 Replies
sara1221 - September 2

I was wondering what your opinion is. My husband was diagnosed w/ a balanced Robertsonian Translocation. I am considering doing IVF W/PGD but it is pricey. I have met w/a genetics counselor and was advised I have a good chance of getting pregnant w/a healthy baby with IVF or naturally. I have spoken to a few clinics about their IVF w/PGD programs and I am unable to get any statistics on success rates for Robertsonian Translocations. Do you know if this is a successful solution worth spending the thousands of dollars on, or is someone in my position better off trying naturally and letting survival of the fittest play out?

The genetic counselor said 1 in 700 people have this chromosome abnormality but I am unable to get straight answers from RE's about successes. Makes me wonder where all these people are...

Thanks soooo much!
Sara

B. Jacobs, M. D. - September 2

To be reliable, statistics are based on very large populations. There is just not enough experience to provide statitics for pregnancy rates after PGD for translocation. The best estimate I can provide is to find out the pregnancy rate for the clinic you would consider using for PGD. Cut that pregnancy rate in half. Half the embryos will have an abnormal chromosome complement. Please remember, that only provides an estimate. The last PGD we performed for a couple who carried cystic fibrosis genes, all of the embryos which made it to the blastocyst stage would have cystic fibrosis. We did not transfer sick embryos, so there was no pregnancy.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?