retained placenta
3 Replies
troppo - May 5

Hi Dr Jacobs, I recently had a d&c which showed retained placental tissue on the histology. Last pg was 3 yrs ago and went to term. My RE says this is quite unusual. Could this have prevented implantation? I have done 7 IVF's ttc#2, all bfn.

Thank you
Sharon

BArry Jacobs, M. D. - May 6

If you had intrauterine adhesions from your D&C, they should have been on an HSG done prior to initiating treatment. The fact that you had retained placental fragments previosly will not effect implantation, now, unless you have scarring in the uterine cavity from the D&C.
Good luck.

troppo - May 7

Hi Dr Jacobs, thank you for your time and your answer to my other question.

What I really wanted to know here is: is it possible, in your opinion, that the retained placental fragments may have prevented implantation in my recent failed IVFs?

Is there a medical term for this condition? I have been trying to find info in journals but have not turned up anything useful.

Cheers
Sharon

Bbarry Jacobs, M. D. - May 7

If you had living retained fragments of placenta, they would be secreting hCG. A positive pregnancy test would imply that is the case. If the pregnancy test is negative, you probably do not have retained placenta.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?