question on day 5 transfer
14 Replies
Bluestar9 - September 27

Dr. Jacobs,

I had a quick question regarding a blastocyst transfer. My husband and I were debating whether to do a 3 day or 5 day transfer. We had a total of 6 fertilized eggs (using frozen sperm), so our RE decided that a 5 day transfer would be best. However, on day 5, none of the embryos (3 remaining) had quite made it to the blastocyst stage. From the pictures we saw, it looked as though they were at the morula stage or maybe very early blastocyst stage. Our RE said he thought they were just a little slow in developing and everything would be fine. He recommended only transferring 2. I am currently 35 and my DH is 36.

My question to you is whether there is a chance all of these embryos had already arrested in the morula stage, so the changes of continued growth were limited. Would our RE have known this before the transfer? He didn’t seem overly concerned and was actually taking a conservative approach with only putting back 2, but I just wanted to get your overall thoughts. Do a lot of embryos arrest at this stage?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - September 27

The only way to tell if embryo developement had ceased is to wait and look, again. We have, on occassion done day 6 transfers. If you transferred early blastocysts, that is OK. Also remember that if eggs were injected late in the day and subsequent transfer done fairly early in the day, they may nt appear as mature at time of transfer. Later in the day, they could be expanded blastocysts.
Good luck.

totcrazy - October 1

Hi Bluestar,

I am so happy to find your post since I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you are.

I had my Day-5 transfer this morning (3 transferred) and we also think they were in morula stage (based on the picture). We also wonder if they will develop further.

Since you are a bit ahead of me, I was wondering if you have more information about your status.

Please share what you know, we will appreciate it a lot.

Good luck and thanks in advance :)

Bluestar9 - October 4

[quote author=totcrazy link=board=5;threadid=4733;start=0#41269 date=1191273507]
Hi Bluestar,

I am so happy to find your post since I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you are.

I had my Day-5 transfer this morning (3 transferred) and we also think they were in morula stage (based on the picture). We also wonder if they will develop further.

Since you are a bit ahead of me, I was wondering if you have more information about your status.

Please share what you know, we will appreciate it a lot.

Good luck and thanks in advance :)
[/quote]

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I haven't checked back in a few days. Well, I got an HCG booster shot about 4 days ago, so it is too hard to know if the home pregnancy test is positive because of the booster or if I'm really pregnant. I hate not knowing, but my RE thinks things are looking good. I sometimes wonder if they really know during the two week wait how things are going, but don't want to tell us until they are sure. I'll keep you posted, so please do the same.

totcrazy - October 4

Thanks for responding, my first beta is on OCT 10. Let us update each other. The BEST OF LUCK!!

Bluestar9 - October 8

[quote author=totcrazy link=board=5;threadid=4733;start=0#41369 date=1191503344]

Thanks for responding, my first beta is on OCT 10. Let us update each other. The BEST OF LUCK!!
[/quote]

Well, I had my first Beta on Friday and I am pregnant. I am cautiously optimistic because we've made it to this point before only to never see a heartbeat. But at least that answered my question on whether a day 5 Morula would implant. By the way, my Beta was 185.

totcrazy - October 11

CONGRATULATIONS! I AM VERY HAPPY FOR YOU :)

We did not have same luck - my first beta today - BFN.

Bluestar9 - October 11

I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping we could follow eachother throughout this process. We are not out of the woods yet, buy I'm really hoping it works this time. This is our second IVF this year. Please don't give up and try again soon.

Take care

brenda37 - October 11

I had a 5dfet on 9/26/07 on 12dp5dfet 10/8/07 my beta was only 35.9 on 14dp5dfet 10/10/07 it was 123. I transfered 5 frozen 3 blasts and 2 that were compacting. My RE said that according to #'s none of the blasts took it had to be one of the compacting.
How long does implantation take?
My beta numbers are really low according to study I read on web said that if on 14dpt your beta was not at least 200 you would not have a good outcome. I did have a successful pregnancy from this batch of eggs with my fresh cycle. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF HAVING A GOOD PREGNANCY????

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 12

I have no way of determining your odds of pregnancy. As far as hCG levels, they just have to double every 48 hours the first 8 weeks of pregnancy.
Good luck.

brenda37 - October 12

What about the implantation? How long does it take?
I did a 5fet they thawed 4 out on a monday 2 made it to blast and 2 were compacting by transfer on wed. they thawed another one out on wed right before my transfer (blast). My RE said that none of the blasts implanted it had to be a compacting one according to the #'s of Hcg. But the Embryologist said that the compacting ones where not to be counted on.

How long would implant take on a compacting embryo? How old would it be if it was frozen at day 3 and thawed for 2 more days but only was compacting? Would it still be a 3 day or 5 day?
Brenda

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 12

I do not know the gfrowth rae of your embryos. It would have to be a blastocyst to implant, so the compacting embryo would have to gorw some more. After it is a blastocyst, it would be only a few days before it might implant. If an embry is frozen on day 3, it is still day 3 when it is thawed. It them may resume growth.
Good luck.

lucky - November 16

hIE DOCTER I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS A MUROLA IMPLANTATION
YTHANKS

lucky - November 16

hIE DOCTER I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS A MUROLA IMPLANTATION
YTHANKS

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 16

A morula is an embryo just before it becomes a blastocyst. It is a descriptive term. The first investigator to describe it felt it looked a bit like a raspberry. Morula is Latin for that fruit.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?