Question about late period
6 Replies
faith2006 - July 27

Hello Dr. - I wasn't on any treatment this cycle which started on June 25th nor the previous cycle May 27th. The cycle on May 27th lasted for 29 days which is within my normal range of 26 - 29 days.

I expected this cycle which started on June 25th to end on July 23 which will make it 29 days again but it didn't. Today is day 33 and I did a hpt today and it was negative. I did feel several cramps within the last week which made me believe I would soon start my period so it means I probably did ovulate right? I've never had ovulation problems.

I've been having pretty bad back pains for the past 3 days. Could I be preg and still be getting negative on hpt by 15dpo? I could be 15 or 14 dpo today. I used First Response Early Result.

Thanks
Faith

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 27

The home pregnancy tests are rather sensitive, and I would not expect a false negative.The fact that your cycles ar not "clock work" 28 days implies you are not ovulating regularly. Your late flow is probably caused by no ovulation this cycle.
Good luck.

faith2006 - July 28

Dr – Thanks. It actually did start yesterday but your answer has led me to another question.

Are you saying if my cycle is not always the same every cycle like every 28 days then I’m probably not ovulating?

When I temp, my temp usually gets higher after awhile which I thought indicates ovulation. Am I wrong?

Thanks
Faith

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 28

If you do ovulate, the progesterone secreted after ovulation generally causes a rise in your basal temperature. A rise in temperature does not necessarily mean ovulation took place. I think you have an ovulatory problem.
Good luck.

faith2006 - July 31

Thanks Dr.

This is news to me. Since temp rise does not indicate ovulation, what else can I do to test if I'm ovulating. I usually feel what I think is ovulation pain just before my temp rises.

Thanks
Faith

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 31

There are only 2 ways to document ovulation. The obvious 1 is pregnancy. From the stand point of testing, the ONLY way to document ovulation is to use ultrasound to first identify a preovulatory size follicle on 1 of your ovaries, then document that disappeared - ruptured to release the egg (ovulation).
Good luck.

faith2006 - August 1

Thanks.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?