Poor egg and slow-growing embryos
1 Replies
totcrazy - October 14

Dear Dr.

What could possibly contribute to poor egg quality and slow-growing embryos? I am 34, husband 32 - we have male factor. All my tests did not see anything wrong so I am 'healthy'. Our first IVF/ICSI failed. Embryologist said they noticed the eggs during retrieval were not good quality. On day of transfer, they were growing very slowly but transferred morulas on day 5 anyway - BETA was NEGATIVE.

Would medications affect quality of eggs? I stimmed using 225mg Follistim + 1 cc Menopur. I took this for 9 days. On the 3rd and 4th day, doctor lowered Follistim to 150mg then back up to 225mg the next day. On the last 5 days, I added CETROTIDE 0.25 mg. What would you have done differently.

Also, the first day of stim meds fell on the first day of my mens cycle, 4 days after stopping birth control pills. I did NOT take Lupron. I took pills for 2 weeks.

I took HCG on day 10 of stimulation and egg retrieval 36 hours after the shot.

Would husband's sperm contribute to poor embryo?

Thanks for your help.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 15

There are too many possiblities to try to list. Many we still do not understand. Less than 1/3 the eggs a woman makes are capable of a successful pregnancy.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?