ovulation and Lupron
1 Replies
shansy - August 3

Hi Dr. Jacobs,

I am getting close to my ER of my first IVF cycle. Currently, I have 24 follicles at various sizes, the largest being 17 mm. The majority of the others are around 14 or 13 mm. I have been on Gonal-F since last Friday. My E2 level is currently 2029.

My Gonal-F doses have been: 300 units for the first 5 days. Then down to 225 last night. They now want me to down it to 75 tonight. The nurse said it looks like my ER will be Sunday depending on tomorrow's u/s and b/w.

My question is- is it possible for a woman to ovulate on her own after having been on Lupron for a month? (I am still continuing now 5 units a day with the Gonal-F.)

Also, after a woman does the trigger shot, is it possible for her to ovulate a lot earlier than the "36" hour timeframe? I am nervous about this as my sister went through IVF and she had 15 eggs before retrieval. After she triggered she was in severe pain (feeling like she was ovulating), and when she went in for ER the RE could only retrieve 4.

I experience this same pain when I ovulate- I know this from the last IUI that I did. I could tell I was ovulating and when I went in the next morning for the IUI, sure enough, my eggs were gone off of the ultrasound. I am worried that I may ovulate too soon before the retrieval.

Do you have any insight or recommendations for my protocol?

Sincerely,
Shannon

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 4

I cannot second guess your RE. e/she is conducting and monitoring your stimulation. Your Lupron will keep you from ovulating. As a general rule, ovulation takes place 36 hours after hCG administration. I take my patients to retrieval 34 hours after hCG.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?