Ovulated before IUI?
1 Replies
oct01 - May 11

Dr. Jacobs,

I'm 31 yrs old with normal menstrual cycles (approx 28 days with + OPK on day 14).

We just completed an IUI cycle with clomid 50 mg on CD 5-9 to address mild male factor (higher than normal levels of HDS and morphology).

On CD 12, I had 2 follicles in the expected range and was instructed to do an HCG shot in the evening. My IUI was on the morning of CD 14. My period started 13 days after the IUI.

Given that my cycles are usually 28 days long, does this mean that I may have ovulated a day earlier than when the IUI took place and during a time when we were instructed to abstain from intercourse?

My RE did not monitor my LH or E2 levels and based the IUI on the size of the follicles from the ultrasound. It might be important to note that I had an early LH surge (71.6) with Letrozole on CD 13 in a previous IUI cycle at another clinic.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - May 12

I do not use Clomid, at all, let alone with IUI The anti-estorgenic effects can actually impair fertility. Letrozol shows promice, but the only data I have seen using it with IUI was an oral presentation at a meeting. I have not seen anything published in a peir reviewed journal. I suspect it will work well. Currently I use FSH products to stimulate ovaries for IUI. That protocol, if nothing else, helps pinpoint the timing of IUI.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?