miscarriages, infertility and gonal-f
3 Replies
lyly14 - July 20

I have had three pregnacies over the past 3 years, all of which seemed to happen pretty easily. One ended at 5 weeks, another was a chemical pregnancy, and the last one ended at 11 weeks with a missed miscarriage. My menstrual cycle is very regular at every 31 days. I have since been trying to concieve for the past 1yr with no luck. I do also have one child who is now 8.

I have had positive antiphospholipid antibodies in the past, but are now negative. I am also positive for the MTHFR mutations and was put on extra folic acid and was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes for which I take metformin.

After seeing a RE for repeated miscarriages he found my endometrial biopsy to be out of sync. He recommended clomid with timed intercourse. I tried 4 cycles of the clomid. The first two cycles I produced 2 nice size follicles on 50 mg of clomid, but did not achieve pregnancy. The third cyle I only produced 1 follicle on the 50 mg of clomid and was told I had low progesterone at 7 dpo. I was put on 200mg suppositories until a negative hcg result. The fourth cycle he increased the clomid to 100mg. I still only produced only one follicle. He recommended I move on to injectibles (gonal -f). The RE has me on 150 iu injections for the first 3 days then I am to return for bloodwork and u/s. I am very concerned about overstimulating my ovaries since I already ovulate on my own. Is this dose high for a first cycle on gonal-f with my history? The RE who recommended this dosage is not my regular RE, it is his partner. My regular RE is on vacation. Any information you can give me at this point would be very helpful. Thank you.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 21

Gonal-f and the other FSH products became my first line treatments years ago. I have not prescribed Clomid in years. The FSH products, like Gonal-f require careful monitoring to avoid hyperstimulation, but I have, so far, never produced a severe hyperstimulation.
Good luck.

3BADBOYS - August 7

I HAD A TUBALIGATION IN 1999. IN JUNE OF 2005 I FOUND OUT THAT I WAS PREGNANT.I THOUGHT THAT IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE. I WAS SOO SCARED OF THE PROBLEM THAT WAS GOING TO OCCURE. I HAD MY HCG LEVEL CHECKED EVERY TWO DAYS, LEVELS WERE DROPPING. A WEEK LATER I HAD A MISSCARRIAGE. IN DECEMBER 2005 I BECAME PREGNANT AGAIN. MY DOCTOR HAD ME AS A HIGH RISK PREGNANCY.ONCE AGAIN EVERY TWO DAYS I HAD MY HCG LEVEL CHECKED, MY HCG LEVELS WERE DOUBLING FAST, THE DOCTOR RULED OUT A ECTOPIC PREGNANCY. I HAD A ULTRASOUND WHICH DID NOT SHOW A FETAL POLE. I WAS SO SCARED OF EVERYTHING. MY HUSBAND WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT HAVING ANOTHER CHILD.WE HAVE 3 SONS 16,14,13. UNFORTUNELY I START TO HAVE LOTS OF PAIN 5 WEEKS INTO THE PREGNANCY. I HAD AN ULTRASOUND WHICH SHOWED A ECTOPIC PREGNANCY. I HAD 2 CHOICES, 1-ANOTHER TUBALIGATION OR 2- HAVE A SHOT WHICH WILL CAUSE THE PREGNANCY TO FAIL. I CHOSE TO HAVE ANOTHER TUBLIGATION BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF ANOTHER ECTOPIC PREGNANCY WHICH HURTED SO BAD. NOW 2 YEARS LATER I THINK THAT I MADE THE WRONG DECISION, I STILL DO WANT ANOTHER BABY (A GIRL) I ALSO REMEMBER HOW HAPPY MY HUSBAND WAS TO HAVE ANOTHER BABY. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 7

You will need IVF to achieve a pregnancy. Please note that age is an issue when it comes to pregnancy rates with IVF.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?