miscarriage at 9 weeks
1 Replies
sarah411 - September 29

Dr Jacobs, I am 9 weeks pregnant through IVF and found out I am having a miscarriage. I have done a lot of research on the causes of miscarriages and everything I have read states the miscarriage rate drops to <5% when you detect the fetal heartbeat via ultrasound. Therefore it is not that common to have a miscarriage at this point. What would be the likely causes of miscarriages that occur at this time and does this mean I am more likely to have another one? Also, are miscarriages more common in first pregnancies? This was my first pregnancy and we detected the fetal heartbeat at 7 weeks and all was well. At 8 weeks I started spotting and found out the pregnancy had stopped growing but htbeat is still there. Now we are just waiting for it to stop. Thanks for you help.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - September 29

I have no way of knowing why you lost your pregnancy. Ity may be that it did not have the correct chromosome complement. As you know, there is a risk of pregnancy loss, even after the fetal heart has been identified. There is not a statistcally greater risk of a second miscarriage, unless you have a predisposing risk factor. If you wish to read about evaluation of recurrent pregnancy loss, I have provided information on our web page, <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?