Metho Shot
3 Replies
sara1221 - October 23

How long after getting the Methotrexate shot will it take for my beta's to get back to zero? My beta is 1798 now almost 2 weeks after the shot. Also, I should be staying away from foods with folic acid or folate in them since they counteract the shot?

If my beta's don't decrease very much, should I look at laproscopic surgery to remove the ectopic?

Sorry for all the questions.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 23

The half life of hCG is about 36 hours. That is to say that in 36 hours your hCG of about 1800 should be about 900 and 36 hours later, about 450 Iu/L. Sinse the tissue producing the hCG will not all bew killed instantly, there may be a bit of a lag. The decision for a surgical procedure needs to be made by your physician.
Good luck.

sara1221 - October 24

Dr Jacobs,

I appreciate your reply about the metho shot. I am concerned with the folic acid diet. My RE said to only avoid my prenatal vitamins or vitamins with folic acid in them. Nothing else. My sister has had 2 tubals and each time she got the metho shot her doctor told her to avoid ALL foods that may contain folic acid or the HCG will not go down as much necessitating another metho shot. Which is correct? Folic acid is in so many foods which makes this a rough month or so if it has to be that restricted. I do not trust my doctors and am switching to a new one as soon as possible, but this question is nagging at me. What is your opinion or protocol when giving the metho shot regarding folic acid? Thanks again!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 24

It would probably take a rather high dose of folic acid to overwhelm the methotrexate. I agree, if you are noy comfortable with your current care, find a good Reproductive Endocrinolgist with whom you are comfortable.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?