meds for IVF
3 Replies
jbt - September 20

I had a successful IVF cycle in October 2003 that produced a healthy baby. I had 7 viable embryos when 11 eggs were retrieved and we froze 4 which we have since used (all good quality embryos - 8-7 cells,etc.). I used 300 amps of gonal F and was a quick responder. My retrieval was on day 7. My RE after the fact said he didn't like the fact that I responded so fast but was pleased with the results. My RE left the group I am with and I recently went through another cycle with another RE in the group. I mentioned that I was a fast responder and that I thought we should make a few changes. He added repronex and had me do 150 units of gonal F daily (as opposed to 300 at night). I had my retrieval on the same day - 7 - and this time 8 eggs were retrieved. Only one resulted in a viable embryo and I am not pregnant. I am going to try another round but need input on the meds. In your opinion should gonal F be increased or decreased? I know I need to have the retrieval closer to day 10. What would you recommend? I recently turned 39.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - September 20

I do not use any product whih contains LH, as Repronex does. We get better quality eggs and embryos without adding LH. At the age of 39, you are probably no longer a brisk responder. My patients who are 39, and older, I use a micro dose Lupron flare protocol, and FSH, only.
Good luck.

jbt - September 21

Thanks for getteing back with me Dr. Jacobs. Would you recommend increasing or decreasing the gonal f? I am receiving conflicting opinions. Thanks again.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - September 21

With the micro-dose flare protocol, I start my patients at 150 units of FSH twice a day.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?