Male factor - treatments?
5 Replies
wrenster - July 6

Hello again

My partner has azospermia due to vasal aplasia. He has had a PESE procedure but contrary to expectations of the urologist, his sperm was of poor morphology as well as motility. Our cycles have had a very poor outcome so far.

Are there any ways to treat sperm quality? We have not been offered any male treatment at all at 2 different clinics in the UK. However I have a friend who is being treated in Singapore and her husband has been given some oral therapy which has increased the quality and quantity of his sperm. I am keen to know what the options are. Could you advise?

Regards
wrenster

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 6

My concern is that if your husband has a congenital block of his vas defrens, he has a variant of cystic fibrosis. You need to be checked to be sure you are not a carrier. I do not know of any specific treatment to improve his sperm, but they will need to be injected into your eggs to create embryos. The testicular sperm are immature, and will not fertilize eggs unless they are physically place into the eggs.
Good luck.

wrenster - July 19

Thanks for replying. You are correct about my DH being a carrier of CF gene. We both had the tests before our icsi cycles. Luckily I am not a carrier.

I was just wondering what could be done to improve his sperm quality (other than the usual things like not taking hot baths etc)

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 19

His azoospermia is because of a block of his vas defrens. Perhaps he may benefit form a surgical repair, but I think your best bet is still ICSI.
Good luck.

JANE ALLERTON - July 20

Hello Wrenster: excuse me for interjecting here....but I may have a helpful lead for you/your partner in the UK.

Given the extremely strong value/exchange rate of the pound, you might be able to swing paying US treatments if your national health insurance doesn't pay out of country medical. There is an absolutely EXCELLENT male infertility doc and his surgical team in NY. Dr. Peter Schlegel. He/his team has an excellent track record of difficult male surgeries with good results. Plus he is very calm and reassuring. It's only a 5 hour direct flight or so from Heathrow to NY and sure beats a trip to Singapore! Happy to share other insights. Jane

JANE ALLERTON - July 20

Hello Wrenster: excuse me for interjecting here....but I may have a helpful lead for you/your partner in the UK.

Given the extremely strong value/exchange rate of the pound, you might be able to swing paying US treatments if your national health insurance doesn't pay out of country medical. There is an absolutely EXCELLENT male infertility doc and his surgical team in NY. Dr. Peter Schlegel. He/his team has an excellent track record of difficult male surgeries with good results. Plus he is very calm and reassuring. It's only a 5 hour direct flight or so from Heathrow to NY and sure beats a trip to Singapore! Happy to share other insights. Jane

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?