Male Factor Infertility
1 Replies
Staci - April 21

Dear Dr. Jacobs,

My husband and I have had one failed IVF(with ICSI) attempt and one failed FET thus far. He is 40 and I am 35 now. We were both a year younger when we first tried IVF. We tried to conceive naturally without luck for about 2 1/2 years prior to seeing a RE. After extensive testing on both of us, the only problem my clinic has been able to discover is male factor infertility. There seems to be no apparent reason why the embryos we've transferred thus far haven't implanted (5 total between the two attempts; 2 of which were blasts and 3 morulas).

At any rate, neither of us know if we have it in us to do another IVF. Based on the following parameters from his most recent semen analysis, how unlikely do you think our chances of natural conception are? Do you think an IUI could be done or does it seem like IVF/ICSI is our only reasonable option?

Volume: 3.5 ml
Concentration: 8 mil/ml
Total Count: 28 mil
Motility: 64%
Morphology: 24%

How bad is this?

Many thanks for your opinion.

Staci

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - April 21

Using the strict set of criteria for morphology, which is the only one which correlates with the ability of sperm to fertilize eggs, normal value is 10% to 14% normal forms. I do not know what, if any criteria your lab used to evaluate morphology. We need at least 20million sperm per ml. Count is quite low. Your best chance for pregnancy is IVF and inject sperm into eggs. For more information, please see our web page at <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?