Luteal Phase Defect
1 Replies
Slatka - July 26

Hi Dr. Jacobs --

I'm not sure if this is the right category in which to post, but it can't hurt! Please just tell me to try somewhere else it this is not within your area.

Short story: after ttc for a year, I got pregnant and then miscarried March 1 of this year; we are ttc again. (I am 33). Needless to say, I have been hyper-vigilant about my cycles the past 5 months and have noticed that I ovulate around CD 17 or 18, yet get my period on CD29. My usual cycle pattern is 31 days. I checked back at my cycle records from last year and notice a similar pattern of occasionally unusually early periods. I thought that one's period should come about 14 days past ovulation and that is not happening for me -- seems to be about 11 or 12 days. While this may be within the realm of "normal", is there anything I can do naturally to help correct this short luteal phase?

I have an RE appointment (my first) at the end of August. But, of course, I do not want to wait yet another month without doing all I can on my own to help. I've read that natural progesterone cream may help (the stuff for menopausal women may benefit the luteal phase). Do you have any info or advice for what I can do to help myself?

Thank you so much for any suggestions. I would really appreciate it. It's such a lonely place, sort of floundering around for answers.

Slatka

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 26

A short luteal phase is certainly an issue. Even though there are no data , several of us have made the observation that women who ovylate after cycle day 16 seem to have poor conception rates and increased risk of miscarriage. You may benefit from ovulation iduction, using an FSH product.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?