Low morphology and IUI
3 Replies
Anu - September 12

Hello
After varicocele surgery:
My husband sperm count is 70 million, motility is 48% and morpholohy is 16%, what is the sucess rate for IUI?

regards
anu

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - September 12

If the assessment of morphology is based on the WHO standards, it is not possible to say. WHO standards are not correlated with the ability of sperm to fertilize eggs. The criteria described by Kruger, are correlated with the ability of sperm to fertilize eggs. A very high morphology score using Kruger's criteria is 14% normal forms. I doubt that Kruger's criteria were used to evaluate your husband's sperm.
Good luck.

Anu - September 13

My husband semen analysis reports :
Morphology:16% Normal forms

"Morphology assessment is performed according to the WHO 1999 guidelines. Data from assisted reproductive technology programs suggest that as sperm morphology falls below 15% normal forms using methods and definations described in the World Health Organization manual, the fertilization in vitro decreases"

I coundnt make it out whether it is normal range or not.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - September 13

WHO criterion for morphology is 30% normal forms. If your husband has 16% normal forms by WHO assessment, his morphology is poor. If he was told he has 16% normal forms by Kruger's criteria, the lab is probably a little loose as to what they call normal.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?