lab mistake
3 Replies
JudyY - November 3

Not sure which Dr to ask so posted here and with Embrologist.

Lab Mistake
« on: Today at 07:06:36pm »

Please help - My clinic called today and told me the Lab made a mistake. I had 9 eggs retrieved, 7 were mature. I am doing PGD so they have to do ICSI. Well, they successfully fertilized 4 eggs but someone in the lab threw the other 3 mature eggs away. They assured me that the 3 were thrown away and not mixed up with anyone's.

The clinic is recommending that we freeze those 4 and try another cycle to get more embroyos then PGD the new ones and the frozen at the same time then move on to transfer.

I am 34 soon to be 35 and doing PGD as I am a carrier of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. This was my 2nd cycle. First cycle cancelled for dominant follicle.

1. Should I freeze these four or try with only four for PGD/transfer.
2. Clinic is offering next cycle for free but would like me to pay for meds. I think they should pay for everything, any thoughts?
3. Is this pure lab negligence? Or does this happen routinely?

Any thoughts are appreciated. I am in shock and do not know if I should follow clinic advice and freeze on day 3 or if I should move on with PGD/transfer.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - November 3

I do not feel it is cost effective to do PGD on only 4 embryos. Freezzing fertilized eggs, and doing another cycle to obtain more embryos for PGD is a very sound recommendation, especially if your clinic is absorbing the cost of your second cycle.
Good luck.

JudyY - November 8

Dr. How long after ER should I expect AF? Also, is it safe to start next cycle as soon as AF arrives or do I need to wait for a 2nd AF? Thanks Judy

Barry Jacobs, M D. - November 8

After retrieval, I start my patients on supplemental estrogen and progesterone. These hormones can delay a menstrual flow, even if you are not pregnant. If my patients are not pregnant 2 weeks after retrieval, I stop hormone administration. The next flow usually begins within 5 days. You will probably have some residual cysts, which should be gone by the next cycle.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Ask a Question