JANUARY STERILITY AND FERTILITY report just released....CGH??
1 Replies
JANE ALLERTON - February 8

Hello Dr. Jacobs: this is an excerpt from the press release as I can't seem to access the medical journal (Jan 2007 Sterility and Fertility) on line (I'm blocked maybe because I'm not an MD??) to read the real meat of the report.

This CGH test on eggs-is it safe? statisically valid? is it an improvement over PDG? or just different? If this test is all that it purports to be, how fast can it be rolled out to other clinics? Or is it some secret sauce?

EXCERPT "The report describes a process involving complete chromosome analysis using a method known as Comparative Genomic Hybridization (CGH) by which they tested DNA derived from a small egg chromosomal structure known as the first Polar body (PB-1), located immediately below the egg surface. This allowed the researchers to identify and then selectively fertilize only those eggs that had a full complement of chromosomes (i.e were chromosomally normal) and were thus deemed highly likely to be “competent” (i.e. capable upon fertilization of developing into chromosomally normal, “competent” embryos)."

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR candid and straight up assessment.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 9

There is always a degree of risk when we biopsy an egg or embryo. There is certainly great promice for the technique, but for now, there will be limited availability.As to your accessing the full text, as opposed to just the abstract, you would have to subscribe to the journal, or be a member of ASRM. I think there may be a process where by you might be able to buy individual manuscripts.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?