IVF with 1 ovary
5 Replies
calico - June 7

What are the chances of a 34 yr old having a good response to stimulations with only one ovary. I really would like to use my sister for DE but she has had a partial hysterectomy (uterus & 1 ovary) and I just don't know how she will respond.

Bary Jacobs, M. D. - June 8

First, by definition, hysterectomy is removal of the uterus. If she only had an ovary removed, she had an oophorectomy. If she still has a uterus and 1 ovary, she does have diminished ovarian reserve, but, at the age of 34, she may well have a reasonable response for IVF.
Good luck.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - June 9

Removal of the uterus is a hysterectomy. Today, the cervix is almost always removed withthe uterus. That is a total hysterectomy. "Partial hysterectomy" is not a medical term. If she does not have a uterus, she will need a gestational carrierfor a pregnancy created using eggs from her remaining ovary.

calico - June 10

Dr. Jacobs,

I am sorry but I think you misunderstood me. I was wanting to use my sisters eggs. She does not have a uterus and only one ovary.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - June 10

I am sorry if I misunderstood your question. Do you wish for your sister to be your egg donor? If so, 34 is not an optimal age. There is a reasonable probability that you wil achieve a good pregnancy, but there are data which imply that pregnancy rates from egg donors are better if the donor is under the age of 30. Over the age of 35, your potential declines further.
Good luck.

calico - June 11

Dr. Jacobs,

Thank you for the reply. I would like to use my sister for an egg donor but I am not sure if I will because of her age.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?