IVF vs. ZIFT vs. GIFT
1 Replies
Carroll 3509 - August 16

I know that this is a broad question for a topic which probably requires a detailed answer, but I would appreciate as much information as possible. When would you reccomend that a couple try another ART procedure such as GIFT or ZIFT when IVF has failed? I have had one fresh Day three IVF transfer and one FET transfer of day five blastocysts, both of which have failed. I have no tubal issues and I am getting ready to start my second fresh IVF cycle. Because insurance does not cover any of my costs, I wanted to optimize my chances and wondered if I would be a candidate for GIFT or ZIFT at this point. Are the succes rates for those procedures better than IVF if IVF has already failed?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 16

I do not know the reason you had IVF. For GIFT and ZIFT you need "perfect" tubes. I have not performed either of those procedures in a number of years. The only reasons I do IVF is for tubal factor probllems or for severe male factor problems requirinf us to inject sperm ito the eggs. Additionally, GIFT and ZIFT havew their primary value in settings where the IVF lab is not very reliable. Ours is excellent. With rare exception, we transfer blastocysts at 5 to 6 days after fertiization.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?