IVF and twins
5 Replies
nikole125 - June 1

I am a 36 year old mother of two children one 4 the other 2 after my second child I got my tubes ties. I now regret my decision and would like to have two more however, I only want one more pregnancy. My pregnancies were very difficult which is why I chose to get my tubes tied in the first place.

I know I can have my tubes fixed and take my chances the old fashion way however, since I have choices I would like to explore them.

I have read that having IVF along with hatching and picking a viable egg with multiple icm's present dramatically increase the chances of twins.

I would like to know if there is a doctor that is willing to try for twins if requested or is this unethical.

I know I might seem selfish however, I am just exploring my options and think if it something I desire now is the time get some answers.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - June 1

First, IVF is safer and more cost effective than tubal reversal. Second, there is a small incresaed risk of a twin pregnancy with IVF. In our program the risk is about 10% to 15%. I do not know of anyone who will put extra embryo inot the uterus, risking a multiple pregnancy, just to try for twins. We already do all that is reasonable to pick "perfect" embryos, so further testing is not very useful, yet.

nikole125 - June 4

Thank you for your reply sorry it took three days for me to get back to you. I have a few more questions hope you can help some more.

When it comes to IVF from start to finish what is the exact timeline of preperation prior to the actual implantation? I have read all about the actual procedure but not how and what is required prior.

Also, I know you have to stimulate your ovaries to produces more eggs does this require injections :'(

Thanks

B. Jacobs, M. D. - June 4

for a description of how I evaluate a couple prior to IVF, please see our web page,<www.texasfertility.com>. We feel it is important not to overlook something which may intrfere with our chances of success. After we have addressed all the issues we find, we have our patients on birth control pills for at least 2 weeks prior to stimulating ovaries with injecatble FSH products. We get better quality eggs and embryos that way. After stimulating ovaries for 7 to 10 days, we inject hCG to mature eggs, and retrieve eggs 34 hours after hCGinjection. Embryo transfer is usually 5 days later. Please note, these injections are very tiny. They are similar to the insulin injections most diabetics take. We still support early IVF pregnancy with intramuscular progesterone in oil intramuscular injections. I am too much of a coward to give up the "gold standard".

nikole125 - June 4

These injections are to be taken for 7 to 10 days, how many times a day?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - June 5

In our protocol, twice a day.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?