IVF 3 day vs 5 day transfer
7 Replies
mimit - April 8

I am having a 5 day transfer this Friday and I just was wondering what are the pros and cons of a 3 day vs a 5 day transfer. Any help would be great, I feel like I am calling my RE with every little question.

???

B. Jacobs, M. D. - April 9

Some of the embryos that look good on day 3 are not. Growing embryos for 5 days helps identify some of the embryos that are not going to make it after day 3. Not all laboratories seem to be able to reliably grow embryos for 5 days. If your lab can grow embryos for 5 days, that is usually a good idea.
Good luck.

mimit - April 9

Thank you this is helpful.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - April 23

Giving hCG "boosters" for luteal support stimulates the cells of the follicles to make progesterone, the same way the placenta does. The only problem with that protocol is that you cannot determine if a positive pregnancy test is hCG from an early pregnancy, or from the injection.
Good luck.

Gursharn - May 16

I had a day 6 transfer and am worried since (hope I spell this correctly) the blastisis had not occured. My clinic reports showed great results of cell growth day 3 and when I went in day5 I was told to wait until day6 for a transfer since the embryo's were compacting but had not completed their blastisis process - Does anyone know what it means if you your embryo's do not go through blastisis and they are transfered - have there been successful pregnancies? my pregnancy test is next week

[quote author=B. Jacobs, M. D. link=board=5;threadid=5675;start=0#48470 date=1207707276]
Some of the embryos that look good on day 3 are not. Growing embryos for 5 days helps identify some of the embryos that are not going to make it after day 3. Not all laboratories seem to be able to reliably grow embryos for 5 days. If your lab can grow embryos for 5 days, that is usually a good idea.
Good luck.
[/quote] :-\

B. Jacobs, M. D. - May 16

I am sorry, but if embryos have not become blastocysts by day 5 to 6, they probably will not.
Good luck.

Sagoo - May 16

[quote author=B. Jacobs, M. D. link=board=5;threadid=5675;start=0#49622 date=1210934167]
I am sorry, but if embryos have not become blastocysts by day 5 to 6, they probably will not.
Good luck.
[/quote] :-\
Thank you for replying
How did you find out the answer to my question ? Its just that the clinic told there is 15percent chance and when I ask any questions they just think I am being negative
I just wanted to know how to find out more?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - May 16

Normal progression of growth of HEALTHY embryos produces balstocysts by day 5. If embryos are not blastocysts by day 5, or thelatest 6, they do not progress beyond the cleavage or mrula stage. I cannot tell you in any particular circumstance if it is an egg problem, a sperm problem or a lab problem. If other embryosd in the lab at the same time are progressing normally, it is not likely to be a lab problem.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?