IUI Question
13 Replies
Calley - April 7

Hi

I had my first iui 04.02.08. I started follistim 150 dc3,4 & 5 - cd 6 went for bloodwork RE dropped dose to 25 and I went back the next day for blood work and ultra sound - largest follies were 15.8 & 14.6 (there were about 4 others in the 13 range and several smaller then 12), I responded well to the meds. However, bloodwork showed I was surging naturally, so RE advised me to come in the following day for the iui - cd8. He also said I did not require the trigger. My question is that this all happened very quickly is that normal and would the follies be big enough one day later?

Thank you

B. Jacobs, M. D. - April 7

In our IVF patients, eggs retrieved before cycle day 12 are usually not mature
Good luck.

Calley - April 7

Thank you for your response. Would you have proceeded with the iui? I am wondering why I am making myself miserable with the progesterone when the odds seem even lower then the 10-20%

B. Jacobs, M. D. - April 8

Without having participatied in your care, I cannot form a valid opinion as to alternative processes.
Good luck.

Calley - May 19

Dr Jacobs

I had my second medicated iui today, once again I surged naturally on cd 7, resulting in iui cycle day 8. This time seems even more hopeless as largest follicle was only 14.5 (there were about 8 others 13.7-12) my estrogen level was 1085. Do you have any idea why this would be happening - what shoudl I ask my dr? What should I do differently?

Thank you

Calley

lenlance - May 19

how long does the uterus take to heal afte septum resection? or howmany cycles before one can try iui/ivf again?

lyly14 - May 19

Calley,
I am not a doctor but I have heard that it is common for that to happen when you are using meds to stimulate your ovaries. You may want to ask your doctor about trying a medication that blocks your body's natural surge response since you seem to be surging prematurely. There is one called cetrotide (it is an injection). If you use it you can trigger the release of follicles with ovidrel or hcg when your Dr. thinks they are mature enough. Good luck. I hope this helps.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - May 19

Calley,

You really should be better evaluated. You may require FSH stimulation of your ovareis,
Good luck.

After a septoplasty performed with a hysteroscope, the endometrium should adequately grow over the area of dissection wihin 2 cycles.
Good luck.

bmm - July 1

Dear Dr Jacobs,
What range would you like to see estradiol levels given the following:
Day 1-7 - 150iu gonal-f
Day 8 & 9 - 112.5 gonal-f
Day 10 - Ovadril
Day 12 - IUI
On day 10, I had 9 eggs. I had asked how many were going to be mature by the time I was inseminated. The nurse said definitely 2 but probably 4 and the other 5 were IF'y". I dont know if I had any other smaller follicles. That day my estradiol level was 1450.
1.) Does the estrodial seem high, low or normal?
2.) Are higher levels associated with lesser quality eggs?
I truly appreciate you time and opinion.
Thank you!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 2

For ovulation induction, your estradiol of 1450 pg/ml is about as high as I wnat to see it. The only follicles likely to ovulate are those which are about 17 mm in mean diameter. Smaller ones either resob or become cysts. The cysts go away, and are nothing to worry about.
Good luck.

bmm - July 11

Dear Dr. Jacobs,
For the last couple IUI cycles, I got my period 11/12 days after the IUI. I also had spotting 1-2days before my period. The RE doesnt check progesterone levels post IUI and I was not on progesterone. Is this indicative of a luteal phase issue? low progesterone? do you put your IUI patients on progesterone?
Thank you for time,
BMM

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 12

I do prescribe progesterone as a vaginal preparation for my IUI patients. There is no good scientific evidence that they all need it, but I feel it is cheap "insurance". I do not know why you are spottingbefore your flow, or why your flow is only 11 to 12 days after IUI. I do not know what other trearment is being used along with your IUI. I only do IUI in combination with FSH stimulation of ovaries. Please see the information on our web site, <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

tserraty - August 2

HELLO MY NAME IS MICHELLE MY QUESTION IS I HAVE A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT AND MY HUSBAND IS H.I.V POSITIVE HIS LEVEL IS IN UNDER 75 UNDETECTABLE AND MY CRIATININE IS IN 1.3 AND ALL MY BLOOD TEST ARE GOOD , YOU THINK THAT WE ARE ELIGIBLE FOR AN IUI TREATMENT PLEASE LET ME KNOW OH BY THE WAY I HAVE TWO YEARS WITH MY TRANSPLANT.. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 2

That decision will have to be made by the Reproductive Endocrinologist providing your care. You are at risk for HIV, as would your future pregnancy. There are issues to be resolved and safegards to be put in place.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?