IUI or IVF
2 Replies
Mary C - March 20

Hello.

My dh and I have just started our infertility treatment. I had an endometriosis but had a laparoscopy to get rid of it a couple months ago. I have a regular menstrual cycle and ovulation. My RE actually hesitates using any fertility drugs on me because he believes that I could produce too many mature follicles. So this cycle, we have started an unmedicated IUI.

On the other hand, my dh has a retrograde ejaculation but could provide very small volume of sperm for IUI. At the this IUI procedure, his sperm had a very good quality but very low count (3 million).

Our RE told us that if money is not an object, IVF is the best way to beat our issues, endometriosis and low sperm count.

Although I know your opinion of the very low success rate of unmedicated IUI, what kind of treatment would you recommend to us? SHould we just step up to IVF+ICSI? Are we wasting our time and money now?

Thanks.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - March 20

I reserve IVF for couples who have a tubal factor problem or need sperm injected into eggs, because of a severe male factor problem. I rarely have to cancel an ovulation induction cycle using FSH. If your RE is not comfortable, he/she needs to do what he/she feels comfortable doing.
Good luck.

Mary C - March 21

Thank you.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?