iui and mature follies
5 Replies
pauline - October 30

This will be my fifth round of IUI (one unmedicated, 3 on clomid 100mg and now 150mg). DH's counts have improved from 500K to 7.5million and motility is improving also.

I am very regular and always O on cd14.

This month they increased my clomid to 150mg. I had cd10 sono today and I do have four follies, but 3 are about 11mm and one is 25mm. They suggested I hold out to give the other 3 a chance to catch up. However, someone else suggested I should have a trigger shot as larger follies are harder to fertilize.

Should I request something different from my MD?

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - October 30

Clomid can actually decrease your potential for pregnancy if you are ovulating on your own. Please see the information I have provided on our web page, <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

pauline - November 2

CD13 and as expected I had my LH surge. Sono showed the large follie was 29mm, the other 3 only got to about 12.5mm. What does this mean for my chances?

I have heard that larger follies are harder to fertilize.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - November 2

Follicles do not fertilize. It is the egg within the follicle you want to fertilize. One of the problems with Clomid is that it will grow follicles, which become progesterone producing cysts. They do not rupture to release the egg, and allow fertilization. For more information, please see our web page, <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

pauline - November 2

So how do you know if it ruptures or not?

which part of your website are you referring too? Also what medication would you recommend next?

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - November 2

The only way to determine if a follicle has ruptured is to identify its presence, using ultrasound, and, then, see that it is gone. I usually stimulte ovaries with one of the FSH products. There is, also, a promicing pill, called Femara, which seems to be very useful in ovulation induction.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?