Insulin Resistance/diabetes/donor egg
1 Replies
Brenda - December 13

Hi Dr. Jacobs.
I believe I may have insulin resistance, bc when I do a weight watchers diet, the lbs i lose are slow. I journal and keep an exercise journal of the strength training and cardio work out, however the weight loss is minimal. Weight watchers is not a carb sensitive diet, which restricts carbs to a total of 30 carbs per meal.

I am concerned and need to know if the insulin resistance is there, and I will be doing a donor egg, and if I develop diabetes in the first trimester, will I be at a greater risk at miscarriage in that first trimester.
I am 47 and overweight and plan on meeting with a dietician to monitor this carb sensitive diet. My blood sugars fluctuate, one time they will be ok and the next time elevated.

An endocronologist has only performed a 2 hour glucose tolerance test and I was very very border line on thos tests

What tests do you recommend for someone my age to to undertake to determine if I am insulin resistance. I am going to schedule a 3 hour glucose tolerance test, is this the only test available to determine insulin resistance?
thanks for your input.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - December 13

In a clinical setting, as opposed to a research facility, the best way to test for insulin resistance is to measure insulin response to a glucose challenge. Unfortunately, the labs in or are, for financial reasons, have been cutting corners, and the insulin assays are not reliable. If you are insulin resistant, you need to rigorously decerase your carbohydrate intake, and you need to take Gkucophage. For more information, please see our web page at <www.texasfertility.com>.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?