Injectables for Translocation
3 Replies
sara1221 - December 29

Dr Jacobs,

My husband was diagnosed with a balanced Robertsonian Translocation and we do not have the money to do IVF with PGD. I was wondering if taking injectables to produce numerous follicles and trying naturally could be a way to go. What would you suggest to a couple not wanting to stop trying but unable to afford the expensive treatments with no guarantee of a live baby nor their money back? Thanks!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 29

That is certainly an option, but 3/4 of the conceptions produced that way will haev an abnormal chromosome make up. You will probably have many miscarriages, and many failed cycles. I cannot recommend doing that.
Good luck.

sara1221 - December 30

Thank you for getting back to me. I have a question about IVF with PGD. If once the eggs are fertilized and PGD is done on them and there are some that are balanced translocations, do you put them back or do you only put back the ones that are chromosomally normal? I would think in a case of the Robertsonian a couple would have some balanced after fertilization but not sure if clinics or RE's will transfer balanced translocated eggs. Any information would be appreciated.

Sara

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 30

Given the nature of a balanced translocation and the way it comes to be, the embryos will not have the balanced translocation of the parent. Either they will be normal, have too much genetic information or too little. There is the remote potential that an embryo could have a new balanced translocation.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?