immature follicle
1 Replies
jayne9586 - September 9

My question is about early release of egg. I produce a follicle each month without drugs which grows to 16mm, then releases the egg. This month I used Menopur to try to grow the follicle and it had no effect. It still did not get over 16mm when my lh levels started to rise. Would Antagon help to delay release of the egg so that the follicle could get to a more mature size? Alternatively do you have any other suggestions.
Also after using drugs like Menopur to stimulate follicle growth is it necessary to take an HCG injection or will the egg release by itself?
I am older (over 40) but apart from low progesterone levels (which I am told is typical for my age), my fsh, lh and estradial levels are fine. I already have three children from when I was younger and never had infertility problems then.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - September 9

In an un-medicated cycle, or acycle using gonadotropins to stimulate follicle growth, the follicle needs to be 17mm in mean diameter to be big enough to ovulate. If you use a gonadotropin preparation, like Menopur, you do need administration of hCG to rupture the follicle, to release the egg. Also, please note, at the age of 40, your potential to have a healthy pregnancy is extremely poor, unless you use an egg donor.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?