How does 400lb woman get pregnant without a period?
3 Replies
ltp23 - March 6

I am astounded by an article I read today.

Obese Woman: My Stomach Ache Was Labor Pains ... 400-Pound Woman Delivers Healthy Boy With 2 Days Notice
POSTED: 4:23 pm CST March 5, 2007-- A 400-pound California woman went to a hospital complaining about a stomachache and got the shock of her life when doctors said she was very pregnant. Only 48 hours later, April Barnum delivered a healthy baby boy. The Orange County Register reported that doctors saw the baby after an X-ray and sent Barnum to the University of California-Irvine Medical Center. The baby's lungs were fully developed, the heartbeat was strong and no defects were detected. Two days later, Walter Scott Edwards III was delivered by Caesarean section, weighing in at 7 pounds and 7 ounces. Barnum and her fiance, Walter Scott Edwards II, said they had no hopes of having any children and had instead spent money on adopting four dogs. According to doctors, Barnum's weight was responsible for her not realizing she was pregnant. Since her monthly cycle also stopped a few years ago, because of her obesity, she did not have any other way to detect it.

My question is: HOW does a woman this fat, who doesn't menstruate, get pregnant and hold it? How is this possible? I thought you were supposed to shed your uterine lining every month to keep it healthy and fresh for an embryo to attach and grow.

vlopez5803 - March 6

where did you read that article just curious. Was is on the internet. If so can you please give me a website

ltp23 - March 6

www.nbc5.com..under "weird news" near bottom of page.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - March 6

Even massively obese women may ovulate, occassionally. I remember a 550 pound woman in labor at the old county OB facility in Houston. By the way, menstruation is only indirectly related to becoming pregnant.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?