heparin
1 Replies
greenshopping1 - February 20

What is the benefit to starting heparin before the transfer and for how long should you use it? I used it once before in an ivf and got pregnant but miscarried due to chromosome issues...the first ivf I didn't use heparin and didn't get pregnant. I am with a new clinic for this next try and she said I could either take heparin or not...there wasn't a red flag in my homosystein levels so she didn't think I had to take it ...in other words if I thought it would help mentally because I got pregnant with heparin before then I could take it again. So again I ask...will it hurt to take it and if so how long should you stay on it if you acheive pregnancy? The same amount of time that you take progesterone?
Thank you

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 20

The anti-inflamatory effect of Heparin is useful in preventing miscarriage due to an auto-immune problem. Otherwise, it has not been demonstrated to provide a benefit in IVF. The down side is th esmall potential for bleeding problems, if a very low dose is used. At higher doses, there is a risk of significant problems clotting, when you need to do so.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?