hCG, progesterone, and continuing pregnancy
3 Replies
lakewood - December 6

I had a day 5 embryo transfer of two embryos, which had developed only to the morula stage at that time. Here are the results of my blood draws.

8 days post transfer: hCG 17.6, progesterone 12.3
10 days post transfer: hCG 28.1, progesterone not measured
13 days post transfer: hCG 97.2, progesterone 8.9

In response to the progesterone reading on day 8, my daily progesterone injection was increased from 25 mg. (1/2 cc) to 50 mg. (1 cc).

Would you give me your opinion about the likelihood of this pregnancy continuing?

Thanks very much.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - December 6

I have no way of predicting the probability of a successful pregnancy for you. I like to see progesterone levels in early preganancy at least 20 ng/ml. Yours will probably improve on 50 mg per day.
Good luck.

lakewood - December 7

Well, as my post indicated, my progesterone went DOWN on 50 mg.

The RE told me the same cells (granulosa?) that are responsible for "nursing" the egg along before ovulation (or retrieval) are responsible for producing progesterone after ovulation (or retrieval). The RE thinks that if those cells aren't doing a good job of producing progesterone, then they probably had trouble "nursing" the egg too. In short, low progesterone levels suggest egg problems.

What's your view about what the RE told me?

Thanks.

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - December 8

I have no data to support or refute your RE's comment. I d know we remove a large number of the granulosa cells, your RE described at te time of retrieval. If there are not granulosa cells left to procduce enough progesterone, I doubt you will produce enough progesterone by yourself. That is why I prescribe progesterone supplement.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?