HCG
10 Replies
3marie - November 23

Hi Dr. Jacobs,

I had serum pregnancy tests done 12 and 14 days post day 3 FET. The first HCG was 60, but the second dropped to 40. I understand falling values are suggestive of embryo loss. At this stage, since the embryo had apparently implanted successfully, is the loss most likely due to a chromosomal abnormality? Also, is there any point in continuing medications and rechecking HCG levels in 2-3 days?

Thank you very much for your advice,
Marie

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 23

Since your hCG dropped from 60 Iu/L to 40 Iu/L, it is not likely you have a good pregnancy. There is a remote possibility that more than 1 implanted and you srill have 1 progressing. Follow the instructions of your RE. As fara s the loss, it is possibly a chromosome issue, our even a gene problem with normal chromosomes.
Good luck.

3marie - November 28

Hi Dr. Jacobs,

I had a third HCG drawn which confirmed an early miscarriage. I am Rh negative and my husband is Rh positive. Is Rhogam indicated for such an early miscarriage (peak HCG of 64 on day 12 post FET)? Does it have to be given within 72hrs or is it still somewhat effective within the first week after the loss?

Thank you so much for your insight,
Marie

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 28

I am sorry you lost your pregnancy. I am not sure that Rhogam is really necessary, but it is probabvly not a bad idea. It does not have to be given within 72 hours. I am not sure what the time limit is, but 72 hours was chosen because of the limitations of the original study.

Marina - November 29

Dr. Jacobs!
I had my hCG on 28,it's positive,but very low-21(5 day tr-r 1 exelent quality embrio).My doc. told me not to lose hope and recheck hCG levels on FR the 30th.
What's in your opinion my chances with this low starting numbers?I did hpt after day 5(was negative) and after day 9 was positive.So this could be pregnancy , not a result from HCG shot before the retriver?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 29

There is a very wide rangeo f normal level of hCG in an early pregnancy. I would not wish to try to make a judgement until I find out if the hCG level at least doubles in 48 hours.
Good luck.

lenlance - December 4

i have read an article that says cysts can cause false positive result on pregnancy test. How often does this occur?
Also am 15&16dpo and got a very faint postive on two different tests. could this be false positive?

Marina - December 4

Dr.Jacobs!Thanks for your reply. I got an update on my HCG: 1st(9th day after transfer) 21
2nd(11th day) 66
3rd (13th day)272
what do you think now?!
Thank you!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 4

As long as the hCG level at least doubles in 24 hours, it is reassuring. It is not a guarantee, but it is encouraging.
Congratulations!

Marina - December 4

Dr Jacobs!
thank you for taking time to revew our concerns!
I got an update on my HCG levels.
1st(10day after transfer) 21
2nd(12day) 66
3rd(14 day)272
What do you think now?My RE wants one more before US on Mon.,Dec 10.
Thank you!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - December 5

Since your hCG more than doulbled in 48 hours, you are probably in good shape.
Congratulations!

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?