Follicle Size
4 Replies
MissyT - July 22

Hello Dr. Jacobs,

I have a question about follicle size. On my 5th day of meds (cycle day 8) I had 5 follicles around 15mm and 8 or so under 10. The 5 follicles around 15,, seemed awful big to me so soon into stimulation. Are they abnormally large? I did only stim for 7 days and triggered on the 8th day. On the 8th day those follicles were 18-22mm and the little ones really didn't make much progress. My lining was only 6 (barely 6) and my E2 was only 657. My question is what caused the follicles to be so large so soon? Of the 5 eggs I had only 3 were mature and only 2 fertilized with ICSI so my concern was that my eggs did not have time to mature. Was it the amount of meds or something to do with my ovaries? Untimately the cycle was a failure.

I am hoping to have more knowledge for the next cycle so I have a better success. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for you time and expertise!!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 23

We find we need to stimulate ovaries for 9 to 10 days to get good egg production.
Good luck.

MissyT - July 24

Thank you Dr. Jacobs for your quick response.

I agree that I believe you need to be stimmed for 9-10 days. Since my follicles were so big on day 5 of stimms can you say what caused that or how to prevent it on another cycle? Was it the med dosage or my body that made them so big so fast?

Thank you again for all your help and advice.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 25

I cannot speak to dosage. Follicles may become large, but if you are using a product like Lupron, Antagon, or Cetrotide in an appropriate protocol, follicles being large should not be an issue.
Good luck.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 25

I do not know what chromosomal abnormalities were detected. If there is a significant abnormality, any pregnancy produced will probably be a miscarriage. I think you need more information from the urologist who made the diagnosis.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?