flare protocal/poor quality eggs
2 Replies
floss - November 5

Dr Jacobs, hoping you can help with some advice on whether to continue with IVF using my own eggs or give up (or go with donor eggs, not something we're keen on.) I'm 39, with unexplained IF, had one prev. molar pg...I've had two rounds of IVF-ICSI, with the 2nd try on flare protocal, resulting in 7 fertilized eggs, 3 good embryo's--but no pg. Now my clinic is recommending I stop IVF, unless I go to donor eggs, because some of my eggs each time were "dark and granular", and therefore they beleive that's why its not working. Can you add anything at all? I've read elsewhere that sometimes the flare protocal/stimulation drugs can damage the eggs, and I am generally sensitive to drugs. Am I grasping at straws? thanks, floss

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - November 5

At the age of 39, thee is a significant probability that eggs retrieve will not be of adequate quality to produce a healthy pregnancy. I use a microdose flare protocol for poor responders, but do not see any difference in the quality of eggs. From your description, you would have a far better chance for a healthy pregnancy by using an egg donor.
Good luck.

floss - November 6

Thanks for the clear response, though its hard to hear... floss

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?