Fetal Location
3 Replies
ASN315 - August 18

Hi Dr. Barry,

I just went in for an U/S and saw the fetus with a heartbeat. The RE wants me to come in next week again because he says that the fetus is too much to the left. He said that it should move towards the center of the uterus hopefully by next week. I have never heard of concerns about the location of the fetus. I thought as long as the baby is in the uterus and not in the fallopian tube that I would be ok. I also thought that the embryo would implant in one spot and embed there. Does the fetus actually move in the uterus?

He scared me because he said that it moves too far to the left that they will have to remove it surgically...Is it common for the fetus to be on one side of the uterus and then later move to the center?

Thanks,
Angela

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 18

As long as the fetus is in the uterine cavity, and not the tube, you are OK. Without seeing the ultrasound, I cannot tell you the reason for his concern.
Good luck.

ASN315 - August 20

Dr. Jacobs,

Thanks for the reply. I called my nurse this morning who spoke with the doctor, and he said that the embryo is not in the tube. She didn't elaborate on his concerns and instead told me that I could come in Tuesday instead of Thursday to discuss it with the doctor. Well, I was so stressed out that I got an appointment today because I have to work the entire day Tuesday.

Have you heard of having to surgically remove an embryo from the uterus because it's placement was too far to one side? Is it still possible for me to have this baby? I don't understand what that doctor is talking about and I can't find anything on the Net.

Angela

B. Jacobs, M. D. - August 21

I doubt anyone plans to remove your pregnancy, if it is in the uterine cavity. I do not know if your physician thinks the pregnancy may be in the portion of the tube that passes through the uterine wall. If that is the case, it must be removed. That is a highly unlikely prospect.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?