Femara
1 Replies
TICKINGCLOCK - November 13

Dr Jacobs

I was just ready to write this post re: femara and I noticed you recommended it in one of your last posts.
I have been on clomid for 4 months and today my doctor
perscribed femara. I never heard of this medicine before but he explained that it is usually used for breast cancer in postmenopausal women. I've been trying to find on the internet what and how it helps with infertility he explained it somewhat but wondered if you have a more simple way of helping me understand I somehow got lost today in his explanation. Have you had better luck with your patients taking this verses clomid? I go for my 3rd IUI sometime around the 22nd of the month. I have alot of faith in my doctor and I am hoping this gives us better results.
Thank you
Gina

Barry Jacobs, M. D. - November 13

I have used Femara to only a limited extent. I am awaiting more data regarding its use with intrauterine insemination. The few tiimes I have used it in selected patients, we have achieved pregnancy. Instead of blocking estrogen effect on cells, as Clomid does, Femara blocks estrogen production for the time it is being taken by the patient. After 5 days of Femara, FSH levels are high, stimulating follicle growth. When Femara is stopped, estroggen levels rise, and about a week after the last pill, ovulation takes place. Unlike Clomid, Femara does not cause problems for the endometrium or cervical mucus.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?