Estadiol:Number of Follicles - IVF cycle
8 Replies
punkin - October 4

Dear Dr,
Is their a relationship between the number of follicles and estradiol levels...is there a typcial ratio?
Thank you.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - October 5

The estradiol concentration is a reflection of th etotal number of growing follicles, but therte is not an exact relationship. Generally speaking, each mature follicle contributes enough estradiol to produce a concentration of 250 to 350 pg/ml. Please also note that smaller grownig follicles also contribute estrogen.

stagedr - November 24

How does one correlate Follistim dose, #days of stimulation, # of follicles and estradiol level as a measure of successful stimulation?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 24

I am afraid that is part of the "art of medicine". Determining the adjustment to the dose of FSH is largely a matter of experience. There is no formula.
Good luck.

stagedr - November 26

Does one typically only see an estrogen spike once the follicles are "mature" or does estrogen rise throughout the maturing process? What could a decrease in estrogen indicate in the presence of growing follicles? Also, is the 250 - 300 range PER each mature follicle or for mature follicles in general? For example, with 3 follicles should the estrogen level be 250 - 300 or over 750? Thank you for your contributions to this board!

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 26

We think that total estrogen production during stimulation is close to 250 to 350 pg/ml for each large follicle. As far as the drop in estrogen during stimulation, I can only speculate.
Good luck.

Grace - November 26

Dr. Jacobs is it possible not to have any symptoms at all after the transfer, I had my transfer on 11/21 , three days afer transfer I mild cramps and that is about it. I am doing the 1cc progesteron shot each nite. my bbs are a little on the heavy side, and I do feel some how feverish, I have not had any actual spotting or bleeding... thank you grace.

stagedr - November 26

Please, what are some of the reasons that would cause estrogen to decrease in the presence of growing follicles? There must be a differential diagnosis to consider in these situations. Thank you.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 27

I really cannot speculate. I do not know all the parameters to make a meaningful guess. Your own RE is in a far better position to answer your question.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?