Embryo Transfer after Ovarian Torsion Surgery
1 Replies
fionak - July 21

I am 34. I have a healthy child from my first marriage. My new husband has had a vasectomy, so to get pregnant, we underwent sperm aspiration and IVF. Towards the end of my med cycle, I was told I was in danger for OHSS. I had to drink gallons of gatorade, and my meds were abruptly cut to 1/4 the planned amount. My doctor retrieved 25 eggs. Five days later, I had to have emergency surgery for ovarian torsion (I never knew such pain was survivable) . When asked, my doctor simply said he didn't know why my ovaries became so big that they twisted in on themselves!? Isn't that a consequence of OHSS? TWO DAYS after surgery I had a transfer with two (highest grade) blastocysts. At this point, my stomach was grotesquely swollen, black and blue - and I was bleeding steadily. I didn't get pregnant. But all along I didn't see how any embryo could adhere to a uterus with such heavy blood flow. Now, we are out $15,000, and I have to pay an additional $3500 to attempt a frozen blast transfer. I'm upset, broke and really quite traumatized by the pain I endured from the torsion (I’m a trooper, but it was awful). It took two and a half months to get back to the gym and my body still feels bad and foreign to me. I think I was injecting too much hormone for a fertile woman. Obviously, I am no expert, but it was a worry that I brought up to the med staff often. I don't think my care was individualized enough for my specific circumstances. Consequently, I'd like to have my eight remaining embryos transferred to another clinic. Is this practical? Am I being a sore loser? :'(

B. Jacobs, M. D. - July 21

They are your embryos, and you have every right to transfer them wherever you please. Try to be sure it is a reliable IVF program. I think most are. In the US, the only restratint on the doctor you choose is your insurance company.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Ask a Question