Embryo Quality
3 Replies
bloom7 - February 10

Hi - I'm new to this board and a bit confused by all the abbreviations. So please be patient with me.

This is my first IVF cycle after 3 unsuccessful IUIs. I did get pregnant once, on my first cycle using Clomid but miscarried at 7 weeks. That was over a year ago and since then we've had no luck. I started my first IVF cycle on Saturday 1/26/08 and today was supposed to be my embryo transfer. My fertility clinic monitors pretty closely. When I went in for morning monitoring on Thursday, 1/31 I had 9 follicles - 7 over 11mm and 2 which were 10mm. Then I went back on Saturday 2/2 and only had 7 follicles. On Sunday 2/3 I still had only 7 follicles. My RE had me go back on Monday 2/4 and there were 9 again. On Wednesday 2/6 I have 11 eggs retrieved and 4 of them fertilized. My ET was scheduled for Saturday on 2/9 but the fertility clinic called me about 1/2 hour before my appoint. They said one of the embryos was at a 7 cell stage but poor quality and the other three were at 4 cell embryos. :'( So we're waiting until Tuesday for the transfer but their might not be a transfer if they don't develop.

My question is has anyone had a 4 cell embryo on day 3 that has gone on to a full-term baby?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - February 11

An embryo which has only grown to 4 cells in 3 days is growing slowly. The probability is that it is not a good embryo.
Good luck.

Mbre - February 11

Hi Bloom,
If you look at my earlier post i was in the same boat. on day 3 i had 7 fertilise and 3 of them were 6-7 cells and the rest at 4 cell stage. i was told that they were ok quality but nothing to be happy about. on day 5 right, 2 hours before my transfer i got a call saying all my eggs had arrested.. then on day 6 got a call saying the 7 cell made it to blast, had the transfer the same day. I got a positive beta last week, now i know a positve beta simply means that the embryo has attached, it is not a confirmed pregnancy until beta are doubling and a hearbeat is detected. I just wanted to give you hope.

Mbre

bloom7 - February 11

Hi Mbre,

Thanks - your experience is encouraging. Maybe one made it to blast, I'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out.

Good luck to you too! And again thanks for sharing.

Patricia

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?