embryo arrest at early morula stage
9 Replies
rpatel010 - November 17

hello dr.

we just finished our IVF cycle recently with 3 embryos transferred on day 3, which were around 8 to 9 cells each. The RE left two more embryos(which were around 11 to 12 cells on day 3) in dish to watch the growth.

The one embryo stopped on the stage where it was on day 3. and the other was early morula on day 5 and then it degenerated.

What does it mean to the embryos that went inside, of course they were of better quality than the ones left in dish.

Any advise will be appreciated.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 17

There is really no way to use the experience with the embryo which were not transferred to try to predict what is happening with the ones which were. They are different, and in a different environment.
Good luck.

rpatel010 - November 18

THanks for the reply. What will be the most common reason for embryo arrest at morula stage?

And from your answer, does it mean that the embryos that went inside uterus on day 3 will have a better chance of implantation and eventually a pregnancy, right?

Please, reply.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 18

We cannot tell from the appearance of an embryo if if has the exactly correct genetic make up to survive. It may grow well, for a while, and then, stop. Also, as good as our labs may be, we cannot always duplicate ideal condotions for embryos.
Good luck.

lenlance - November 18

help, i had iui today and on the side i had a good follicle seems to be clear. the opposite side with small follicles feels so sore and painful.what could be happening?
how long does washed sperm survive based on your practise?
thanks in advance

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 18

Middle size follicles turn into cysts, when you give hCG. Don't worry! The cysts will go away. Washed sperm for IUI will still be able to fertilize eggs as long as 8 to 10 hours after insemination.
Good luck.

rpatel010 - November 19

thanks for the input. my other question was on the cell size. How will the uneven cell size will affect the success of that particular embryo, if it's ontime with almost no fragmentation.

Is it common to get pregnant from an embryo which has just uneven cell size and no other problems.

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 19

Most embryos have more than 1 cell line. Small cells may be abnormal, but not take part in further develo0pement of the embryo. I reall yhave no better way of responding to your question.
Good luck.

rpatel010 - November 20

thanks for the reply. so, the rest of the cells in embryo will progress and still can produce successful pregnancy, right?

B. Jacobs, M. D. - November 21

It is possible to have normal cells and abnormal cells in the same embryo. If there are normal cells, they have a good chance of progressing to produce a viable pregnancy.
Good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?